Since I created a new page for my DIY Green Home projects, I thought I would continue the theme in letting you in on my new dish washer discoveries. Oh what a thrilling life I lead.
Basically, for any DIY home cleaning product, the following stock is required:
- Bi carb soda
- Washing soda (available near the washing products at the supermarket)
- Tea tree oil (anti bacterial)
- Pure distilled white vinegar
- Dr Broner’s (or any brand) Castille liquid soap
- Citrus fruits/oil/citric acid (any of these – or all)
- Lovely smelling essential oils for your own personal touch
You know those squeezed out bits of lemon/lime you have leftover? … or the ones you cut into and are nasty? … or the ones that Viper cuts a tiny wedge from for his Corona, and leaves outside for 3 days to get nice and skanky? Use these bits in the dishwasher… works a treat with the following concoction:
DIY Dish Washer Powder (Keep on hand in the cupboard)
- 1C washing soda*
- 1/3C citric acid
- Mix together, store in a jar.
Add to dishwasher each cycle….
- 1-2T of the pre made dish washer powder (basically just fill up the compartment that you put the powder)
- 1T Dr Broner’s liquid castille soap
- Naturally Awesome Multi Purpose Spray (or 1/2C white vinegar)… I usually just spray all the dishes with the spray… it makes life easier, plus I think it is more effective than just dumping some vinegar in the machine.
- Lemon/lime bits for the cutlery basket (optional)
Fill machine’s rinse aid bit with white vinegar – it really helps.
“You can make baking soda into washing soda. Spread some baking soda on a baking sheet and bake it at 400 for about 30 minutes.”
(Her technique slightly differs from mine, plus I don’t like the idea of Borax, but play around until you find what works for you/your machine)
Anyway, domesticities aside, I’m very excited as I got my food processor back. Cuisinart came good, and did not make me wait the estimated 3-4 weeks for my machine to be “tested,” whatever that means. It’s like an old friend with a comforting hug. I am way to attached. Perfect timing, as I am working on something for the Virtual Vegan Potluck that is happening in a few days.
I’m not very good under pressure. Sometimes when I HAVE to make something for an event such as the potluck it just turns into a right shit show. I’m no good when I think too much. I’m much better just ‘in the moment.’ We shall have to wait until the 10th to see if I have a success or it gets fed to Boosty.