The Dr says NO to bleach
If you take one piece of advice from me, take this one:
Get some Dr Bronner’s in your life.
I use this stuff for, yip, pretty much everything:
- Body wash
- Shampoo (once a month… apart from this, I am ‘No-Poo’).
- Hand wash
- In my washing/Misty’s nappies
- As a baby-wipe lubricant (Bronner’s, water, coconut oil, sweet almond oil)
- Any other “soapy” occasion.
Haven’t tried it as a toothpaste yet, but we haven’t been camping in a while… I’m sure it would be great in that sort of situation.
Viper never believes me when I tell him natural cleaning products work. He loves bleach. He has a serious bleach problem. He has selective hearing when I tell him that bleach is toxic, as he will return from the shop with a bottle of bleach that must be intended to be used by the BFG and his relations. I love Roald Dahl.
Anyway, he acted so surprised when the neighbour recently told him that, ‘Oh no, bleach doesn’t kill mould/bacteria, it just cleans it away.’ I was squeezing my fingernails into my arm and biting my tongue when he said, ‘Lou? Did you not know this?’
The other day Viper asked me to get some cream cleanser for him. I had read you could use plain flour to clean sinks/bathrooms etc. Viper laughed at me, and my attempt to clean the sink with flour. OK, flour doesn’t really work (or I was doing it wrong?) but it DID get me inspired to play around with a home made abrasive cleaner for our sink/tiles/tub in the bathroom. Dr Bronner’s to the rescue!
Cream Cleanser without the Crap:
- 1C washing soda (bicarb will work too… washing soda is just stronger)
- 1T cream of tartar
- 1/4C Dr Broner’s
- 1/4C water
- 1T white vinegar
- 15 drops tea tree oil… plus you could add some additional EO that smells lovely if you are that way inclined.
- Mix ingredients together.
- Store in a bottle with a squirty nozzle type thing that clicks on tight.
- Shake well before use, and use for bathroom tiles, sinks, tubs and the likes.
- Laugh in Viper’s face.
Although Viper and me may not see eye to eye on some (OK, many) issues, he agrees with me that Dr Bronner’s is awesome stuff. We do actually like each other. Oh and Mr. Dr. Bronner did not pay me to say any of this…. I just like his goods.