misty’s new snack and lentil adventures
Misty has decided that he loves chickpeas. Even straight up, plain cooked chickpeas. Bless; he’s his Mother’s son for sure. I thought I would shake things up a bit snack-wise for him… and I hadn’t done the baked chickpea thing since the chocolate version. To be perfectly honest, if I can coax him to sit in his high chair and nibble at chickpeas for 10 minutes while I make a coffee, I’m a happy (er) Mama for sure. Does anyone else have a problem with a small child who is obsessed with getting to, and playing on the road (preferably WITH the cars). I took him to the park the other day… an awesome super fun amazing park, and all he wanted to do was stand by the side of the road (restrained from leaping onto the road by me) and staring at the traffic.
Vanilla Spiced Baked Chickpeas:
- 1 + 1/2C cooked chickpeas
- 1T tahini
- 1T maple syrup
- 3/4t cinnamon
- 1t coconut oil
- 1/4t sea salt
- 1t vanilla extract
- Toss chickpeas in the above ingredients and cook by the method shown here.
Mustard Miso Sauce:
- 1T tahini
- 1/4C light miso paste
- 1/4C water
- 3t agave
- 1t apple cider vinegar
- 1/2t mustard (I’ve tried it with both dijion and whole grain mustard… both are yummy, the dijion is perhaps a tad milder)
Served with roast Brussel sprouts and cabbage…. tossed in coconut oil, white pepper, 3T nutritional yeast and a generous amount of sea salt. Cooked in a moderate oven (170 degrees C) until golden and crispy (I love it when it gets a bit charred) maybe around 30 minutes.
- I basically chucked 2C of my cooked lentils and rice mix into a large fry pan and stir fried it, as you would fried rice (in coconut oil). I added in a large grated zucchini for colour (BROWN lentils and BROWN rice are a bit blah as a visually appealing dish). Cook until everything is piping hot.
- Either serve the roasties as a side dish, or to cut down on dishes, whack it all in together.
- Smother with sauce and enjoy.
- Even better the next day.
Wow. This dish would have been my worst nightmare as a kid. Lentils? Sprouts? Cabbage!? No thanks. Funny how we change.
Speaking of change… I’d love to change things up and uncover a few of you lurkers…. any questions you might have – sing out! I really appreciate anyone who reads my rabbles, and if you have any tips regarding taming a traffic obsessed toddler I may just love you forever.