New favourite cereal blend in place of oats.
Rice brain straws, quinoa puffs and buckwheat groats. I have some soy beans soaking and I am going to make my own soy milk tomorrow. Hooray. Yeah I know, I’m a weirdo.
Something new in the recipe arena… a contribution from the elusive Viper. We seem to be on a roll with creamy nut butter infused sauces, after his chicken pie the other night. Good thing Viper is a sweetheart and made this vegan so I could partake. He has been cooking up a storm today… we are feeding the neighbours a BBQ lunch. Feels nice to be out of the kitchen for once. I’m in charge of stopping Misty and Boosty munching coloured chalk, which seems to be their new favourite food.
- 1/4t ground coriander
- 1/8t ground cumin
- 1/2t smoked paprika
- 1/4t dried chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- A one inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 small brown onions, diced
- 1T coconut oil
- 4T coconut cream
- 2T crunchy peanut butter
- 2t soy sauce
- 1t apple cider vinegar
- 1/2C water
- Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the cumin and coriander and saute for a minute or so.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic… cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in paprika and chilli flakes.
- Add coconut cream plus 1/4C of the water to de glaze the pan.
- Cook for a few minutes to reduce.
- Add remaining water, vinegar, and peanut butter… reduce to a very very gentle simmer.
- Cook on the lowest setting for at least 30 minutes… this time is required for the onions to break down and release their beautiful sweetness.
Viper served this with marinated chicken kebabs, while Misty and I had baked tofu… it’s not the most attractive looking sauce, but it is pretty rippin’ tasty. Cheers, Viper….. (he’s too shy and didn’t want to write the recipe himself).
Remember this? It’s my Sun Cooked Lime Pickle experiment. I have to admit… I was afraid to try it. It just goes against my brain’s logic… ‘Here, eat this brownish looking goo, it’s been sitting outside in a jar for 2 months, go on, it’s good, I promise!’ I’ve had some pretty grossed out visitors at my place questioning my sanity. Viper was scared. He did the “sniff test” straight away, and a look of surprise crossed his face…. ‘It smells exactly like it should!’
We have a new winner in home foodie experiments. If you’re heading into a sun-shiny season, give this a whirl… it’s worth the wait.
Tell me what’s new with you.