happy day holiday
It’s Summer, it’s the Christmas holidays -cool creamy tropical treats are on the brain… first though, I better show you a slice of our Christmas festivities:
Christmas morn. Gday.
First ice cream. Pandan flavoured. Yummo.
It was my first vegan festive season… yes it was a challenge to resist the buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon, prawn and mango salad, coconut fish and the likes, but I did pretty darn well with rice paper rolls, tofu skewers, mango and avacado salad plus my vegan truffles and fresh berries. Oh and of course, champagne. Not too shabby.
I think I’m going to turn into a block of tofu… I suppose it is the automatic assumption of most meat eaters – that tofu is the main source of protein for vegans. I love the stuff, yes, but too much is not that great for my tum. My digestive system needs a break from soy protein… I was tempted to make a tofu pudding, but coconut butter came to my delicious rescue.
Toasty Coconut Butter:
(vegan, nut and soy free)
- 2C fine dessicated coconut
- 1/4t sea salt
- 1/2 – 1t vanilla bean paste, depending on how ‘vanillary’ you want it
- Dry toast the coconut in 1/2C increments in a fry pan until golden brown – watch closely as it will brown very quickly. This step is not vital – you could make this raw, but I think the flavour of toasted coconut is too good to miss.
- Once cool, process in a food processor… this takes ages, depending on your machine. As the oils release the mix will start to clump up. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go. Eventually it will turn to a runny (ish) “butter” – be patient and give the motor of your machine a break every few minutes as you don’t want to blow it up (particularly if it’s your Mother in Law’s).
- Add in salt and vanilla bean paste. Taste and adjust salt and vanilla to your liking.
Vegan Mango Coconut Mousse:
- 2 mangoes
- 4T of the Toasty Coconut Butter
- 1/4t grated lime zest
- 2t lime juice
- 1/8t sea salt
- Blend all ingredients, pour into cups/glasses and chill in the fridge until ready to serve (the coconut butter makes it ‘set’ a little when cold).
Vegan. Delicious. Decadent even. Missing out? Nope, not me.